Search engine optimization (SEO) is important for any local business since more than ever, people are looking to the internet to find local businesses. If people want to find a local window company, you can be sure that they will search the internet to find a reputable company. Not only does an internet search provide a listing of local companies, but often reviews can be found online allowing consumers to do research on the companies found. Online listings are a great tool for consumers to find and research companies. SEO is important because you want your company to be one of the businesses that ends up on the search engine results page (SERP) for terms related to your business.
Search Engines Sort By Location
Search engines sort businesses into localized results. This is useful since people searching in New York don’t need to see listings of restaurants in Chicago, unless they are planning a trip. When most people search online for a business they plan to visit in person, they are looking for a company in close proximity to them. This is good news for your business since it will be easier to rank higher on the SERP for localized searches.
Local Listings Increase Rankings
There are a few different ways to get your business to rank higher on the SERP, one of which is to enter your company on local business listing sites. By making sure your company is listed in local directories, your business has an increased shot at appearing higher on the SERP. Make sure to choose the correct business category and enter in consistent information on the different directories.
Free Local Listing Sites
Listing sites offer free and paid listing options. Below are a list of sites that offer free listing, though some have paid options as well. Many of these sites may already have your site listed. You can claim your listing and ensure that all information is correct and up-to-date.
- Google My Business—Find your business and follow the steps to claim your listing. You can make changes and update information once you’ve claimed the listing.
- Yahoo Local—Yahoo has partnered with Yext to make it easy to find your listing and make sure it is accurate. Fill in the form and follow directions to see your listings on a variety of sites.
- Yelp for Business Owners—Find and claim your business on Yelp to make sure Yelp users can find you online.
- Bing places for business—Find, claim and verify your business listing on Bing and you can update your information.
- MerchantCircle—Sign up and get access to your business listing. MerchantCircle has lots of extra perks, allowing you to network with other businesses, link to your website and post pictures, newsletters and deals.
- Local—Claim your listing by filling in the form and following directions.
- Insider Pages—This site is popular for finding Health and Medical providers, Home and Garden, Hair and Beauty, Auto Services and Pet services. If your business falls into one of these categories, sign up to create a listing. You can add pictures and link back to your website.
- FourSquare—FourSquare is a mobile app that allows users to check in while at your business and helps you to engage with your customers. Claim your listing by filling in the form and following the steps.
- HotFrog—Is a popular site world wide. Fill in the form and create an account to add your business.
The Barton Organization Can Help With PowerListings
Want to get noticed online? Contact The Barton Organization for you SEO needs. We can optimize your site and make sure you are listed in local directories.
TBO PowerListing—The benefits of PowerListings are numerous. Use our PowerListing service and we will make sure you are listed with the correct information. Missing information will be updated. When you update your PowerListing account with new information, photos or promotions, all listings will be automatically updated. Anytime your business is reviewed your review will be linked to your PowerListing account so you can search one place for any reviews.
Analytics are included, so you can track your performance and how many views you’ve had.